My Twitter Favorites


Don’t wait. The time will never be just right...

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

English - Some common spoken words and their usage

One of the ardent fan, "Piscine Moliter (Pi)" provided us the post on "Some common spoken words and their usage". So, here we are sharing the same with you. Don't forget to say thanks to Pi!!!


Keep going
  • Meaning: Continue
  • Usage: keep going. You need the exercise.

 Drop by
  • Meaning: Visit for short time
  • Usage: I dropped by the camera store to pick up our photos.

 In charge of
  • Meaning: Responsible for; supervisor of
  • Usage: He is in charge of training new staff.
  • Note: sometimes in charge of + _ing

Running short of time
  • Meaning: Getting close to a deadline
  • Usage: I’d love to finish this meeting soon. Let’s move on to the next point because we’re running short of time.

Get a move on
  • Meaning: Go faster
  • Usage: We have to get a move on if we want to finish by Wednesday.

Ahead of/ on/ behind schedule
  • Meaning: Faster than planned / as planned / slower than planned
  • Usage: Please drive faster. We’re behind schedule.
  • Project is going fine. Everything is on schedule.

Tied up
  • Meaning: Busy doing something that you can’t stop
  • Usage: I’m tied up now, but I’ll be free in an hour.

Held up
  • Meaning: Delayed
  • Usage: I got home at 10 o’clock last night. I was held up at the office doing paperwork.

No wonder
  • Meaning: Now I understand why
  • Usage: I didn’t study. No wonder I failed.

It slipped my mind
  • Meaning: I forgot
  • Usage: I was supposed to meet my friend last night, but it slipped my mind.

Under a lot of pressure
  • Meaning: Feeling stress
  • Usage: Students are under a lot of pressure at exam time

Put up with something
  • Meaning: Accept something bad
  • Usage: my office is freezing, but I put up with it because I love my job.

Right away
  • Meaning: Immediately; now
  • Usage: The client is waiting. He needs the report. I’ll get it right away.

It’s not the end of the world
  • Meaning: The situation is not very bad
  • Usage: I hurt my knee, but it’s not the end of the world. I can still play golf.

In the same boat
  • Meaning: In the same situation
  • Usage: We all lost money last year. We’re all in the same boat.

Can I take a rain check?
  • Meaning: Can we change the plan to another time in future?
  • Usage: I have to cancel our plans for lunch today. Can I take a rain check?

On top of that
  • Meaning: In addition to; also
  • Usage: I’m very busy. I have two children, I work full time, and on top of that I take evening classes.

For good
  • Meaning: Forever; permanently
  • Usage: I’ve tried to quit smoking before, but this time I’m quitting for good.

I heard it through the grapevine
  • Meaning: Someone told me something as gossip or a rumour
  • Usage: He lost his job. I heard it through the grapevine.

Better off doing something
  • Meaning: Say this to show a better choice
  • Usage: the bus takes five hours. I’m better off taking the train.

Run into someone
  • Meaning: Meet someone unexpectedly
  • Usage: sometimes I run into him at the bank. We both go on Mondays.

We don’t see eyes to eye
  • Meaning: This is a polite way to say we don’t agree
  • Usage: we both agree on the problem. But we don’t see eye to eye on the solution.

Play it by ear
  • Meaning: Do it without a plan
  • Usage: Don’t book a hotel room. Play it by ear. Look for a hotel when you get to the city.

Come off
  • Meaning: Become detached
  • Usage: I bought a cheap suitcase. The wheels came off after one week!

Give someone a hand
  • Meaning: Help someone
  • Usage: He had to photocopy 100 pages, so I gave him a hand with the job.

Get by
  • Meaning: Manage but with difficulty
  • Usage: we don’t have much money, but we can get by if we don’t spend much.

Can’t make it
  • Meaning: Not able to attend
  • Usage: He’s working late. He can’t make it to the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please suggest your valuable comments here....